BETTI ONO is recruiting its second cohort of YOUTH FELLOWS to join our arts + civic engagement team to mobilize people power in conjunction with The Fire Next Time: A Call and Response, a year long inquiry into the life and legacy of James Baldwin that is part cultural think tank + multidisciplinary arts exhibition + community visioning process.
The YOUTH ARTS + CIVIC ENGAGEMENT FELLOWSHIP offers 5 young leaders the opportunity to more deeply engage with the legacy of James Baldwin and the artists and activists who are continuing his mission, co-design and co-facilitate the day long Youth Summit October 20th, develop their personal leadership capacity and make concrete connections to the significant role and relationship between artists, civic engagement and social change.
YOUTH FELLOWS will benefit from trainings in advocacy, art as social practice, political education, community organizing and program development.
YOUTH FELLOWS ELIGIBILITY
- Ages 15-18 years old attending a Bay Area high school in grades 10-12.
- Fellows will serve as peer leaders and play a significant role in generating youth participation and interest in arts + civic engagement activities.
- Fellows must be able to commit to weekday and weekend hours for a minimum of 4 and up to 8 hours per week.
Fellows must be available for these key dates to participate:
- September 22 – BONJOUR: A Day Party + Fundraiser Celebrating Art and Resistance
- September 24 – October 15 Team Projects + Weekly Monday Meetings
- October 5 – Oakland Art Murmur/First Friday
- October 14 – Life is Living Festival
- October 17 – Candidates Forum: Culture of Belonging
- October 20 – YOUTH ARTS + CIVIC ENGAGEMENT SUMMIT in conjunction with the 2018 National Day of Protest Against Police Brutality
- October 27 – Team Potluck + Project Wrap
Fall 2018 Fellows will be provided a $150 stipend for completing the program.
APPLICATION: Please complete the application below by September 18th by 11:59 pm and let us know what area of interest you are most excited about. Fellows will be notified immediately of their acceptance. Contact Youth Summit Project Manager Nailah Harper- Malveaux via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or more info.